Prescriptions Charges and Exemptions
Extensive exemption and remission arrangements protect those likely to have difficulty in paying charges (NHS prescription and dental charges, optical and hospital travel costs).
The NHS prescription charge is a flat-rate amount which successive Governments have thought it reasonable to charge for those who can afford to pay for their medicines. Prescription prepayment certificates (PPCs) offer real savings for people who need extensive medication.
These charges apply in England only. In Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales prescriptions are free of charge.
- Prescription (per item): £9.35
- 3-month Prescription Prepayment Certificate: £30.25
- 1 Year Prescriotion Prepayment Certicicate: £108.10 (which can be paid in 10 monthly installments)
- Pair of standard elastic hosiery £18.30 or £9.35 if only 1 is required
- If you have to pay for four or more prescription items in three months, or more than 14 items in 12 months, you may find it cheaper to buy a PPC.
- Telephone advice and order line 0300 330 1341
- General Public - Buy or Renew a PPC On-line
There is further information about prescription exemptions and fees on the NHS website